History of the Society
The society was founded by 34 charter members on May 3, 1933 and
incorporated as a non-profit organization on October 2, 1975. The
society has been re-incorporated, and a revised and updated set
of by-laws was approved by the membership on December 2, 1999.
Early meetings were held in the Red Brick School before it became
part of the Carlisle School campus. Throughout the years, the society
has worked closely with Gleason Public Library and the town officials
to collect and document artifacts from Carlisle’s past. In 1975
it undertook the publication of a town history as a special Bicentennial
project. Today, the society sponsors regular programs open to the public.
For more details, see “Carlisle Historical Society celebrates the past,” by Conni Manoli-Skocay and Stephanie Upton, Carlisle Mosquito, November 26, 2004
The society is engaged in supporting a number of ongoing projects:
- History award for Carlisle Student
- Book purchases for Carlisle School Library
- Preservation and maintenance of Heald House and Barn
- Documenting the historical collections
- Special Exhibitions
- Carlisle Bicentennial Celebration
- Native American Site Survey
Members receive discounts to events, and your membership helps
keep Carlisle’s history alive! Yearly membership dues are $15 for
a household; $10 for an individual and $8 for an individual senior
member. The membership form can be found here.
Officers and Directors
|Board of Directors:||Carl Andreassen|
|Charlie Forsberg, President Emeritus
John Troast, Curator
|Architectural Consultant:||Larry Sorli|
Box 703, Carlisle, MA 01741
Questions about the Society or its programs? Contact the President.